The Roles and Responsibilities of Our Prefects
The Prefects at Our Lady's Catholic Primary School must lead by example at all times in their behaviour, the respect they show to others and their school uniform. A prefects role is varied and to be awarded a school prefect badge is considered to be a real privilege.
The prefects at Our Lady’s take on many roles and have many responsibilities, such as:
- Working in the office at lunchtimes;
- Checking the ICT suite;
- Working with classes during wet break times;
- Monitoring cloakrooms;
- Energy savers, turning lights off at playtimes/dinner times;
- Working alongside teachers to promote positive behaviour.
- Leading classes and supporting others around the school;
- Helping to set up the hall for assemblies;
- Showing visitors around the school;
- Helping the Headteacher with parent afternoons.
Why We Have School Prefects at Our Lady’s
As part of our citizenship education, we believe that children need to experience duties and responsibilities that come with being a member of a community in order to help them prepare to play an active role as citizens.
At Our Lady’s we believe that prefects have a ver y important role to play in the day to day organisation of our school and as only Year Six pupils are allowed to apply for this position, it is considered to be very prestigious. The position not only allows the Year Six pupils to lead by example and demonstrate their responsibility, it also enables the younger children to learn from a good example.